Description: If you are looking for something interesting to spice up your chicken and fish dinners, then this Apple Black Bean Salsa might be just the trick. Your guests will praise you for originality and your family will thank you for spicing up that boring chicken dinner. Not a traditional salsa, I thought it unique enough to put the recipe on here. It really is great on both chicken and white fish. The kick in this salsa comes from the canned green chili peppers. But I think you will enjoy it just the same.
- Lemon juice for dipping apple slices (maybe a cup)
- 2 to 3 red delicious apples, peeled, to make 2 cups diced apples
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons diced green chile pepper (canned version)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place lemon juice in wide shallow bowl.
- Peel and slice apples, then dip slices into juice to prevent browning.
- Dice apple slices to make 2 cups.
- In a mixing bowl, place apples, beans, chile peppers, cilantro, lime juice and orange juice, mix thoroughly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate 6 to 8 hours before serving.
Refrigerate 6 to 8 hours before serving (Salsa can be prepared up to one day ahead). Before serving, drain off excess liquid.
Serve with chicken or fish.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4