Description: Just so many flavors abound here. The roasted tomatillo’s, the garlic, the avocado, I’m getting hungry just writing this description. Every once in awhile you just want something different then the usual salsas on your mexican food, this fits the bill. Sure, it takes a little longer to prepare, but definitely worth the wait.
- 1/2 pound of tomatillos, fresh
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 small white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the broiler.
- Remove husks and rinse tomatillos under warm water to remove stickiness.
- Halve the onion and arrange on a broiler pan with tomatillos and garlic.
- Broil vegetables 1 to 2 inches from heat turning once, until softened and slightly charred, about 10 minutes.
- Peel garlic and put in a food processor with tomatillos, onion, cilantro, and salt.
- Wearing gloves, discard seeds from jalepeno if desired and coarsely chop.
- Add jalapeño to tomatillo mixture and puree until mixture is almost smooth.
- Transfer mixuture to a bowl.
- Halve and pit avocado and scoop flesh into tomatillo mixture.
- With a fork mash avocado into mixture, leaving texture coarse.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6