Description: Habaneros are one of the hottest peppers there are. My forehead is sweating just thinking about this salsa. If you like hot then this will be nirvana for you. For those of us who aren’t extremists, simply put fewer habaneros in there. Bon appetit.
- 5 whole habaneros, seeded (less if desired)
- 10 whole tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2 whole Vidalia onions, skinned
- 6 whole sweet red peppers, seeded
- 2 whole smoked habaneros (optional)
- 3 whole chipotle peppers
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 ounces balsamic vinegar
- Soak tomatillos in hot water for 10 minutes to loosen and remove husks.
- Rinse de-husked tomatillos.
- Process ingredients in a blender individually in order listed until you reach the dried peppers and place in a non-reactive container (like a ceramic bowl).
- Place dried smoked habaneros and chipotles in a blender and drain juice from mixture in bowl into the blender and process.
- Once blended, add to the mixture in the bowl.
- Add cumin and stir well.
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top.
- Let marinate overnight.
Make sure you wash your hands after handling habanero peppers!
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6